wade simmons (unbalanced and biased... oh... don't forget, unfair)

Saturday, September 03, 2005

More on the invisible dog fence

Atlas and Pearl are learning very quickly how to avoid a correction. We even did some distraction training since Adelle dug her way out of the dog yard again.

The dog yard is a large pen type area with a 6 foot chain link fence. I have been filling the sections between poles where Adelle digs with chicken wire, gravel, concrete, and rebar attached to the fence. That stops her from digging in that spot again. We (Adelle & I) have almost finished working our way around the perimeter of the fence. Once the reinforcements are complete, Adelle can start her invisible fence training.

I'm happy that Atlas and Pearl are learning so quickly. I need to make sure Atlas returns at least 10 feet from the "warning" zone so he just doesn't sit down listening to the noise until it stops (battery dead) and wanders off where ever he wants.

I did the training this morning with both Atlas and Pearl, but in the future I need to train them separately or have someone else training one at the same time. That is the only way I can insure that Atlas always retreats far enough from the warning zone.

Atlas has the stubborn dog collar with the highest level correction. The correction definitely gets his attention. He is so stoic that I dare not reduce the level, at least for now.

Pearl has the regular collar with the mild correction and it seems to work well.

If anyone has an tips or tricks, please let me know.

3 Comments:

  • I moved on to the supervised off leash training for both Atlas and Pearl. They are doing great even with Adelle running right through the invisible fence. Both Atlas and Pearl stop and come back in the safe area.

    What good dogs.

    By Blogger wade, at Sat Sep 03, 06:20:00 PM EDT  

  • cool. Now Marg can start training you as well... -grin-

    By Anonymous brother steve, at Sat Sep 03, 08:58:00 PM EDT  

  • It seems that I am untrainable. Although the shock collar is kind of fun.

    By Blogger wade, at Sun Sep 04, 09:02:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home