wade simmons (unbalanced and biased... oh... don't forget, unfair)

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Canine Cleanup -- Doggie Dooley


I have installed 2 of these puppies in my dog yard. This is the cheap version for 1-2 normal dogs.

I don't have 1-2 normal dogs. I have 3 large dogs that produce copious amounts of crap.

My solution, which works rather well, is to cut out the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and bury it below the Doggie Dooley.

Now, I had a problem. My dog yard is made mostly of sand, which perks really well. I couldn't keep water in the first dog septic tank that I put in. Luckily I had not put any poop in at this point. So I went to the front garden which has lots of clay and dug up several wheel barrows full of clay.

I dug up the Doggie Dooley and surrounding sand. I put a thin layer of clay below the 5 gallon bucket (can't have it perk to slowly) and filled around the bucket with clay. I put the Doggie Dooley on top and filled in with clay and sand.

This worked great for a while. Now it is full of shit. So, I have put in another Doggie Dooley and 5 gallon bucked with no clay. Just good ole sand surrounds this one. It perks too good right now. But, as I discovered with the first try, things that don't break down as fast as poop (leaves, sticks, etc.) tend to make it perk slower over time.

The first one is still digesting and I add water everyday and enzymes often. One day I hope it will drain completely again so I can use it on occasion to decrease some of the burden on poop eater number two.

I am not going to dig it out to put sand back around it. (yuck!)

I read somewhere about some super bacterial stuff you can buy to break up sluge faster and even completely. I may try some of that if it doesn't cost too much and is environmentally friendly.

By the way, both are well over 50' away from our well and located so the natural drain path should be away from the well.

More poop chronicles to come...

4 Comments:

  • Have you looked into the large fiberglass tumble type composters? I would think that the combination of leaves, grass, vegetable leftovers, and dog doo would make a pretty good compost. A friend of mine has one of these and tells me that it turns his garbage to compost in about 2 weeks. Of course his dog is about the size of one of your dog's poo's.

    I guess another alternative would be to bring the offending matter inside and flush it, unless that would overload your house septic system - a distinct possibility since your dogs are larger than the deer here in TX.

    By Anonymous brother steve, at Tue Sep 13, 12:40:00 AM EDT  

  • I do have a compost pile. The tumbler thing is too expensive and the worms do a pretty good job anyway.

    I read a lot of discussion poo pooing the use of poo in your compost if it is going to be used on plants you plan to eat.

    No poo for you!

    And yes, flushing all the dog poo would quickly screw up my septic system.

    By Blogger wade, at Tue Sep 13, 08:29:00 AM EDT  

  • Use the compost in the yard, not the garden. After the composting process is finished, the odor is (mostly) gone and if you spread it thinly it should not be noticed.

    Or you could just feed them less, or have fewer dogs than children, or dogs smaller than your children, or ... I don't know.

    By Anonymous brother steve, at Tue Sep 13, 10:33:00 AM EDT  

  • Ok, I gave up on the Doggie septic tanks... I can't get 'em to work for shit... composting everything.

    By Blogger wade, at Tue Mar 14, 10:03:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home